Lately, I’ve been suffering from a weird Lima Bean Addiction. It’s all I crave and want to eat. On Sundays I make a huge pot of Latin Lima Bean Stew and eat it everyday during the week. It is absolutely delicious, cheap and easy to make!
If you love Comfort Food then you will love this recipe!. It’s great to eat it for dinner after a long day of work. My 3 year old loves it as well. You can serve it in a bowl and just gobble it up with a spoon!. Yumm!!
The secret to this lovely dish is the mixture in itself. You know how the french have the Mirepoix, and the cajun their Holy trinity?. Well in South America we have the “Sofrito”… A delicious mixture of onions, red peppers and tomatoes, that is the base on tons of soups, stews and braises.
To make this Latin Lima Bean Stew Recipe you need to soak your beans in order for them to cook properly. I usually forget to do this step the night before and just do a quick soak: simply boil your beans with enough water for about 5 minutes and then let them sit off the heat in the water for about an hour.
Latin Lima Bean Stew Recipe
16 oz. of Lima Beans Soaked
4 Tomatoes diced and seeded
1 Large Red Pepper diced
1 Large Onion (or 2 small ones) diced
1 Bouillon cube (any flavor you like)
1 1/2 Tbs. of Vegetable Oil
4 Dashes of Maggi Sauce (you can substitute for Worcestershire Sauce)
Salt + Pepper
1) Make the sofrito: In a large pot heat the oil in medium heat. Add the tomatoes, onions, peppers and salt. Let the cook for about 5 minutes until all the vegetables have softened. Stir every few minutes to prevent browning… Warning: Your house will smell like onions for a few hours.
2) See the difference in color after the sofrito is ready?. You will notice your onions have softened up and the tomato has turned paler. Yumm!!!. Now you can go ahead and add some dashes of Maggi or Worcestershire Sauce.
3) Add the soaked Lima beans into the pot and mix well with the sofrito. Add enough water to cover the Lima Beans and the Bouillon Cube.
4) Let the stew come to a boil and then lower the heat to medium low and cook until the beans have softened and 3/4 of the water have evaporated. About 45 minutes to an hour.
At the end you will noticed that some of the Lima Beans have turned into puree and other have stayed intact. That’s part of the idea.. I love my stew a little more soupy. My husband on the other hand likes it dryer.. It all depends on your personal preference.
By the way, this recipe will feed a small army. I love to make extras because they make the best leftovers!!..
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do
Latin Lima Bean Stew Recipe – Great Comfort Food!
- 16 oz . of Lima Beans Soaked
- 4 Tomatoes diced and seeded
- 1 Large Red Pepper diced
- 1 Large Onion diced or 2 small ones
- 1 Bouillon cube any flavor you like
- 1 1/2 Tbs . of Vegetable Oil
- 4 Dashes of Maggi Sauce or Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt + Pepper
In a large pot heat oil over medium heat and add the Onion, Tomato, Pepper and a little salt. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion turns translucent and all the vegetables have softened. Add in a few dashes of the Maggi or Worcestershire Sauce.
Incorporate the soaked beans and stir well until all the ingredients are combined
Add enough water to cover the beans and stir in the crushed Bouillon Cube. Raise the heat to high
When the stew boils, turn down the heat to a medium low and cook for 45 minutes to an hour
Rectify the seasoning and cook until 3/4 of the water has dried out and the Lima Beans have softened.