Icebox matzo cake recipe – Easy no bake dessert to serve during Passover Seder. Combine layers or matzos dipped in wine and top with chocolate icing.
Icebox Matzo Cake Recipe
Need a dessert idea for Passover? I have a great recipe for you! Easy to make with the kids and delicious and elegant enough to serve with company at the Seder. I’ve been making this Icebox Matzo Cake for many years and it is always a hit in my house. In fact, I make it all year round. The chocolate cream has a lot of flavor and combined with the wine and matzo, it creates a happy marriage of flavors and textures in your mouth. Of course, if you’re serving to kids, use grape juice instead of wine.
This Icebox Matzo Cake recipe is perfect to make with the kids since it doesn’t require any heat and it’s fun to assemble. Make it the night before serving so the flavors combine and the chocolate cream sets up nice. Top if off with some shaved chocolate, candied nuts or whatever your hearts desire. Here’s my
Make it the night before serving so the flavors combine and the chocolate cream sets up nice. Top if off with some shaved chocolate, candied nuts or whatever your hearts desire. Here’s my 7-year-old helping me make it.
During Passover, something it’s hard to come up with creative ideas on how to use Matzos. I am fine the first 2 days when then I start to get bored BUT when I know I have this Matzo Cake in the fridge, I have to have a piece. The flavor is absolutely amazing. If you don’t celebrate Passover, still give this recipe a try. It’s super delicious.
Each matzo in this cake is dipped in some wine and then topped with a creamy chocolate frosting. When the cake is refrigerated, the matzo hardens and bit and gets a dreamy grape flavor that complements the chocolate nicely. It’s the perfect marriage between crunchy, creamy and indulgent.
I hope you can make this delicious Icebox Matzo Cake Recipe at home. If you do, please tag me on Instagram @livingsweetmoments and/or use the hashtag #LivingSweet – I promise to Repost it.
- For the Chocolate Cream
- 2 Sticks of Butter, melted
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 6 oz of Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- 1 ts. of rum extract (optional)
- 1 ts. of milk
- 1 ts. of prepared coffee (optional)
- To Assemble Cake
- 1 1/2 Box of Matzos (plain)
- 2 Cups of Kosher Wine placed in a shallow dish (or grape juice)
- Using a standing mixer, combine the butter, sugar and eggs. Mix until creamy
- In a small saucepan melt the chocolate with the milk, coffee and rum extract
- Combine chocolate with the butter mixture until combined.
- Use a cookie sheet fitted with a baking rack to catch the drippings
- Dip a matzo in the wine and place on the cookie sheet. Spread a little of the chocolate cream.
- Continue with remaining matzos.
- Top with the rest of the chocolate cream covering the sides.
- Place in the fridge overnight or for a few hours until cake is set