As you can see, I’ve been busy making Hanukkah cookies this weekend. My daughters can’t complain! They’ve been helping me roll, cut out, and bake some yummy treats like these beautiful Hanukkah Stained Glass Cookies.
I love how these cookies let the light shine through. It has a “wow” factor with kids and adults. Serve them as dessert for the 8 nights of Hanukkah and it will be a hit. If you really want to get creative, mix and max stained glass colors to create beautiful combinations.
I chose just one to go with my theme. If you don’t celebrate Hanukkah you can cut out other shapes with cookie cutters or a paring knife. The possibilities are endless! You can make them square and cut out little hearts or Christmas ornaments with red stained glass.
Believe it or not, these are VERY easy to make and even novice bakers will have success with these Hanukkah Stained Glass Cookies. Your kids can help you roll, shape and decorate them. It’s a fun activity for a lazy Sunday morning.
For these cookies I used my trusty old cookie dough recipe. The same one for the Hanukkah Jelly Cookies and Guava Rugelach Cookies. It’s soft, crumbly, sweet and full of flavor. Plus it freezable and since I always make a few batches a time, there’s always cookie dough in my freezer ready to be rolled, filled and baked.
I just love the smell of fresh baked cookie in my house. It draws my family to the kitchen. It’s my secret weapon when I want them to come downstairs 😉
To make these cookies, simply make the dough (recipe below). Refrigerate for 30 minutes, roll and cut out circles using a cookie cutter or a rimmed glass. Place the cookie circles in a jelly roll pan and cut out little shapes using a small cookie cutter. In the center add a piece of hard candy and bake. If you want, you can crush the hard candy and combine colors and flavors:
The hard candy melts inside the oven creating the stained glass effect. Hope you can try these at home!
- 2 Sticks of unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1½ Cups of of All Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup of Sugar
- 1 tb. of Plain Greek Yogurt (or Sour Cream)
- 1 egg
- ½ Ts. of Vanilla or Pinch of Vanilla Powder
- 32 Hard Candy pieces such as Jolly Rancher
- For Cookies
- Mix all the cookie ingredients together until a ball forms. Shape into a disc, wrap with plastic paper and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes
- Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees F
- In a floured surface, place the dough and roll until you get it thin ( about a ¼ inch). Cut out circles using a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass
- Place circles on a cookie sheet pan fitted with parchment paper
- Cut out small shapes using a smaller cookie cutter or a paring knife
- Place a hard candy into each center of the cookie
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies have browned and stained glass effect have been achieved
- Cool in pan for 2-3 minutes and then place in a cooling rack until completely cooled